The insect bite

1 Jan

Last year (technically, the year before last, since it’s now 2014…), we attempted to camp at our friend’s property on New Years Eve.  The result was lots of screaming, lots of crying, not much sleeping, and going home to our familiar beds in the middle of the night.

Call us crazy, but we figured Daniel would be old enough this year (err…last year) to be ok with sleeping in a tent, so we gave it another go.  When kid bed time came around, once again, there was lots of screaming, lots of crying, and not much sleeping.  By Daniel, Hannah was loving the whole tent thing.  In the end, we let Daniel watch Thomas on the couch in the house until he was practically asleep, and then I laid in the tent with them until he was out.

He woke up in the middle of the night, stood up, and walked around the tent whilst crying until I laid him down in his bed (he had been sleeping with his legs on Hannah’s bed and his face on the bottom of the tent).

But we made it through the whole night without having to take the kids home, so that’s progress. Even Rosie (the puppy) quietly slept all night in her crate and only asked to go out for a potty break once. The kids slept pretty darn well too.  I, on the other hand, had a horrible nights sleep.  Clearly, 30 years old is too old for sleeping on a very thin Therm-a-Rest mattress.  I tossed and turned all night, with whatever body part I slept on getting sore rapidly.  I think it’s time we bought a thick, comfy, needs-a-pump-to-blow-it-up air mattress.

As we woke up in the morning, we noticed Daniel’s bright red ear.  We thought that sleeping with his face on the tent floor must have irritated it.  Maybe there was something hard under his ear as he slept for who know how many hours.

By 1pm though, it was still bright red.  It looked like a Santa coloured ear balloon.  Today is New Years Day though, so the doctors office isn’t open.  Instead, I called the after hours doctors, who told me they were full until 5pm and it could be a number of hours after that until someone could finally come to my house to see Daniel.  I called the medical advice line, who advised me that he should see a doctor in the next 24 hours, but didn’t think it warranted a visit to the hospital.  So we waited for the after hours GP.  And waited.  And waited.

At 7pm, the doctor came, and told me it was an allergic reaction to an insect bite, though he couldn’t say for sure what kind of insect.  In addition, he thought it likely that the bite was infected.  A bottle of antibiotics, another of anti inflammatory, and another of antihistamine later, and hopefully his ear will go back to normal.  If the redness spreads, he has to go straight to the hospital. We’re hoping that doesn’t happen because, obviously, that would suck for poor Daniel, but also because we’re driving for 4 hours tomorrow to go see Aaron’s dad and attend the funeral of Aaron’s Nanna.

Stupid bugs.

Daniel's freakishly swollen right ear.  I tried to get a photo of the front and side of the ear, but he moved his head too much. So sticking him in the swing and taking it from the back as he watched Rosie

Daniel’s freakishly swollen right ear. I tried to get a photo of the front and side of the ear, but he moved his head too much. So sticking him in the swing and taking it from the back as he watched Rosie

If you enjoyed reading this, please vote for my blog. All you have to do is click the link below. That’s it… Clicking the link brings you to the Top Mommy Blogs home page. You don’t have to do anything else. Any clicks from my site to theirs is a vote.  THANKS!
Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Like my blog? ‘Like’ it on facebook:

Pin It You officially have my permission to pin this (as long as it links back to my site).  Just don’t act like you wrote it. Because you didn’t….

Copyright 2013 Sheri Thomson

The Best Mom Blogs

2 Responses to “The insect bite”

  1. Shanna January 2, 2014 at 2:34 pm #

    Oh my GOSH!! I hope his ear goes down, poor little guy!

    • Mommy Adventures January 3, 2014 at 8:51 pm #

      He is doing much better now. It went down a lot after one dose of antibiotics, and antihistamine.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: